2nd Annual AVA Black History Exhibit :
The Modern DAY Paris Exposition
January 14, 2018 - February 23, 2018
Submission Deadline: December 14, 2017
Acceptance Notification: December 21, 2017
Artwork Delivery: January 8 - 9, 2018
Opening Reception: January 14, 2018
Work Pick-up: February 26 - March 1, 2018
This 2nd Annual Black History Exhibit is not only meant to highlight the African American artists of our region, but also showcase the Black experience. In 1900, W.E.B. Du Bois traveled to the Paris Exposition with the goal of educating people on the current conditions of Blacks in America by exhibiting artistic and educational materials created by African Americans. Our upcoming exhibition will be a modern day version of Du Bois' historic one, sharing the goal to captivate and educate. This curated exhibition is open to all artists. All 2D and 3D works will be considered as long as they abide by the submission rules.
This call is open to local and non-local artists. You must be an AVA member to submit. For more information about our membership and benefits, please visit http://www.avarts.org/ava-membership/ All mediums are allowed.
Limitation & Restrictions
1) All artwork must be original.
2) 2D artworks must have a hanging system. 3D works must also have a hanging system (if suspended) or a secure base and weigh no more than 100 lbs.
3) All shipping or hand delivery and return of work for the exhibition is the responsibility of the artist.
4) AVA reserves the right to reject works that are misrepresented in the submission process or are not properly outfitted to display in the gallery.
5) AVA handles all sales transactions and receives a 30% commission from all gallery sales.
1.) Brief artist statement that is relevant to the work submitted (no more than 1 page)
2.) Submit no more than 3 works. Each image must be:
- Saved in jpeg format
- Set color to RGB
- Image size should not exceed horizontal pixel dimension of 1920 pixels or vertical pixel dimension of 1080 pixels
- Saved as artist’s last name and image’s title. Example: DOE_UNTITLED.jpg
3.) Include the below listing in the submission email for each image:
- Artist First & Last name
- City of residency
- Price (if for sale)
Send materials to AVA's Chief Curator, Kreneshia Whiteside: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line should read "Black History 2018"
Submitting your work indicates that you have read and understand all guidelines and criterion contained within this prospectus. You understand that if accepted, it will be your responsibility to deliver your work to the AVA Gallery ready for hanging and on time, concurrent with any schedules given to you upon acceptance. All works are insured while on AVA’s premises.
No person will be excluded from participation in or otherwise subjected to discrimination in regards to services, programs and employment, provided by the Association for Visual Arts based on color, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or religion.